Saturday, June 1, 2013

Theatre in my IO

On May 13, 2013 I had to do my Interactive Oral for IB English for my class. We have to teach the class about a cultural context of a world lit novel. I chose to focus on the Dutch Underground Resistance in The Assault by Harry Mulisch. This presentation reminded me of theatre because I essentially had to think on my feet, similar to improve. When teaching the class, you can't exactly prepare for how students will respond, so I had to be careful to listen to what each student said and respond according. This reminded me of theatre because it was a sort of production. Also, Mrs. Burke was always emphasizing to us that we work on listening to the other actors lines so it looked like we were actually have a real conversation instead of just spitting out lines. In this situation, I couldn't just spit out responses, I actually had to listen to what other people were saying. It was actually a blast! I felt like I was up there for only 2 minutes, but it ended up being 15 minutes! I really think my preparation in theatre helped, and maybe I could become a teacher :) When you think about it, teaching is kind of like acting because you're up in front of a group of people and you have to prepare, but you also to have to be ready to roll with anything that happens. Thinking about it, I think a lot of jobs incorporate theatre, especially in terms of presentations and interactions with other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment