Monday, June 3, 2013

Grease

On Saturday April 13, 2013 I attended CV High school's production of the musical Grease. It was amazing!!! Everyone was so talented, the dances and singing were great! I really noticed how the actors had worked so hard to coordinate with each other. My favorite part of the musical, of course, was "Hand Jive" because it involved so many different people. I had brought my theatre glasses (binoculars) so I used them to look at specific people. It was really cool to see how each cast member put so much effort into their work. They were all focused, but they also made sure to keep acting. Even in a big crowd, it was important for each, single person to be doing everything correctly. The costumes were also really well done. There was so much color to convey the vibrancy of the musical, and some of the costume changes for the main characters were pretty impressive (they could change costumes in basically 60 seconds flat), Also, the set was incredibly elaborate! We had gone down in theatre class that week to see the set. We walked around it a little bit (even though I was scared to go up on it because I'm afraid of heights and I thought it was going to collapse and kill me). Mr. McGuire pointed out the different aspects. WOW!! It must have taken SO much work to construct it. Also, there were kids dancing on top of the structure thingy so they had to make sure it was incredibly safe. I was so impressed. Of course, they have a big budget for their shows (budget is incredibly important in theatre), but I was still really impressed. I was really impressed by the car they had for Greased Lightning because it just exemplified the fact that they had thought of everything. He also showed us some lighting techniques and sequences. For example, they had a white sheet behind the set, so other light colors could show and convey the mood of different scenes. We had a professional lighting designer who has worked on Broadway shows show us a few of the many lighting sequences. He also showed us how they could light up the jukebox with all different colors which was really cool. It was amazing to go see the show and watch as everything could be put together into a spectacular production.

No comments:

Post a Comment