Sunday, January 13, 2013

Lullaby Scene

In Blood Wedding, there is a scene that seems a little strange to the plot of the play: the lullaby scene, in which Leonardo's wife and mother are singing a creepy lullaby to Leonardo and his wife's child. We did a project about the lullaby scene. Mrs. Burke asked us to pretend that we were directing the scene. How would we interpret it? How would the script influence the performance? In the subsequent posts, I will include my findings and interpretations.
This was a very difficult project for me because I have never really thought about directing before. I've always loved acting, so that was one of the main reasons I took this course. I certainly didn't expect to have assignments where I would need to think about the directing aspects of a production as well. So with this project, I was really nervous. I definitely struggle a lot because there were some things that I didn't even think about. For example, when we shared our findings with the rest of the class, my classmate Sam talked about his lighting choices for the scene. I'd never even thought of that before; I'm not used to thinking about lighting because I've always taken that for granted in productions. But looking back, I think about how there were so many lights at the set of Sweeney Todd at Penn State, so lighting is obviously something I need to consider. I thought this project was a good learning experience for me because it made me step out of my comfort zone, and as a result, I learned a lot more about the world of theatre. I'm excited for another experience of thinking about directing because I think I'll learn more each time and maybe get more comfortable with the aspects of directing.

No comments:

Post a Comment