Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Atonement

We have just started reading Atonement by Ian McEwan in English class. The book begins with the main character, Briony, trying to put together a performance of the play she has written. This really resonated with me in connection to our theatre class because Briony's struggles represented those that are often present in theatre. She knew exactly how she wanted her play and its characters to look, but her cousin Lola messed with her vision. Unfortunately, that is often the case with writers and directors. They have a picture in their mind of how they want an actor or set to look like, but there are often limitations on bringing that idea to fruition. I think Briony's play will continue to be integral to the plot of Atonement, so maybe I will see more of a parallel as I read more of the novel. Meanwhile, my inner theatre geek shows as I think about the logistics and acting of the play :)

No comments:

Post a Comment