Sunday, January 13, 2013

Comparison Statement to Buch Interview

We read an interview by a director who often produces Lorca's plays. He talked about his interpretation of the lullaby scene, and I compared that to my findings:

I did not see the scene in the same way as Buch. I would definitely still have the child present. Although it seems to be a sort of nightmare, the child is a part of that nightmare, so I would have it on stage. Buch said that the horse represents passion, but in this scene I felt as if it was a war horse representing death. It just doesn’t make sense to me to have the horse represent passion in this scene. Rather, I think it is the mother-in-law and wife’s lament of the child’s illness that eventually leads to his death. Perhaps it is a nightmare. Perhaps they are just imagining that the child is dying, but that make it all the more haunting. In this case, I apply the statement to each his own. I don’t think Buch’s interpretation is bad; I just would direct the scene differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment