Sunday, August 25, 2013

Wilkes University Day 2

I was visiting my mom during her residency for two days, so on the second day, June 26 2013, I got even more theatre experiences. After lunch, there were several panels going on, and one of them was about play writing, so my Mom and I attended that one. The speakers were all professors at Wilkes who had published plays. They talked about their process for writing, which was incredibly fascinating, and will definitely help me during our play writing unit. They also talked about making sure you block out the time for writing every day so you make yourself get it done, although some admitted that they can be binge writers. After the panel, my mom introduced me to several of the speakers, and I told them about my theatre class. They were really interested to hear about it, and told me we could contact them at any time and they'd love to talk to us--maybe we could Skype in class. One man even lives and works in New York City (can you say FIELD TRIP?! ;) ). Then, that night was another reading session like the previous night, although this time it was all plays, instead of short stories. This was really cool because while these weren't fully actualized productions, you could get the feel for the play more than just reading it on paper. Also, the fact that it was only read by the author was interesting because their voice intonation and expressions were what they envisioned when they wrote the play, whereas an actual production differs from the author's original intentions. Overall, it was a fun visit and a great opportunity for me to learn more about the theatre world and make some great connections

No comments:

Post a Comment