Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11

This isn't really theatre related, but it's emotional, so anything emotional can be theatre related, and I feel like this is just something I need to write.
Every time I looked at the date today, I was reminded how significant today is. Twelve years ago, on September 11, 2001, one of the most tragic events in our country's history occurred. Everyone will remember what happened and everyone will remember what they were doing on that day. I know my age is probably the youngest to be able to at least vaguely recall what happened that day. I remember being excited because I didn't have school. I remember sitting in the basement with my grandma, thinking something wasn't right. I remember finding out more as the days, weeks, months, and years passed. I remember honoring those who served our country so bravely, not just on the anniversary of this day, but every day, as I recite the Pledge to the Flag, and silently sing along to The Star Spangled Banner. I remember going with my mom and dad to begin the project to plant trees at the Flight 93 memorial in Shanksville, PA. I remember seeing the families of victims of the Flight 93 crash working along with me to plant trees, as they too tried to bring nature and beauty to the place where their loved ones' bravery could be honored. I remember hearing about how these regular people made the decision to fight back to try to protect more lives, even though they knew it would mean the immediate end to their own lives. I remember the horror I felt as I really began to understand what 9/11 meant. I remember thinking what if it had been my sister, my dad, my mom? How do you even go on? How do you accept that someone you loved, someone you thought you would spend the rest of your life with, was gone due to some senseless act of violence? It's these questions that really make me reflect on this day. This day is for love, not hate. This is not a day when we should blame a group of people for what happened. This is a day when we should be thinking: what can we do to make sure something like this never happens again? This is a day when we need to be preaching the message of love. Forgiveness. Compassion. And most importantly, peace. This is not a day when we should be thinking about revenge, but a day we should be thinking about mending relationships and working together toward a common goal: peace. I know world peace is probably an unattainable goal, but that does not mean we should not strive for it. Too often, this day turns into sadness and bitterness about the past, when we really need to take it as a lesson for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment