Sunday, December 2, 2012

Henry V Monologue

On November 15, 2012 I performed the chorus monologue from Act IV of Henry V by William Shakespeare. It was a great experience for showing me the reality of live theatre.
I chose to stage this prologue in the Performing Arts Center, an example of a proscenium theatre, because the chorus tries to convey to the audience that they must use their imaginations to see the scene. Therefore, while they may be watching this play in a nice, luxurious theatre, they need to transport themselves to the dismal setting of the war. This also gives more responsibility to the chorus, for they must be convincing in their portrayal of the scene if they want the audience to understand. Also, I imagine the chorus as serving to simply "set the stage" for the scene. Therefore, they would stand at the front of the stage, with a spotlight on them. They would act within the prologue using gestures and movement, but they would stay mostly stationary in the center of the front of the stage. A proscenium means in front of the scenery, hence the PAC would be fitting because standing on the front of the stage, the chorus could convey that idea of being a separate story-teller, with the action occurring behind them, among the scenery. Meanwhile, the setting would be set up behind them, so that they could gesture to the events taking place behind them.

            I also think it is important to note my costume choice, for that also pertains to my choice for setting. I chose to be a woman from Shakespeare's time period because the play mostly centers around men, so I feel as if the audience would need a reprieve in the form of a woman at least a little in the play. I chose her to wear this traditional Shakespearean-era dress because it shows her high class, and I feel as if the chorus woman would be chiding the men for their war-like ways. She could also be more dramatic about the peril of the situation. It also emphasizes the fact that she is a detached observer from the events of the play, hence her position at the front of the stage in a proscenium theatre.

As for the actual recitation of the chorus, I had practiced it so many times by myself that I thought I had the memorization down with no problem. However, when I got onstage, it seemed as if all of the words flew out of my mind. I had to take three extremely long pauses where I tried to remember the next lines and then look down at my paper for help. I had never felt so disappointed about a theatrical performance. Usually, I don't have problems with memorization, so this was incredibly frustrating. I know that this happens sometimes in live theatre, but I couldn't help getting mad at myself about it. Despite my problems with forgetting lines, I thought my acting was actually pretty good. I tried to be very theatrical, as well as project my voice well. Also, I knew there was extra pressure because I went first, so I tried not to let it get to me too much. After my performance, we went to see Frida in the Arts Courtyard. She recited the Act III prologue, and stood above us to portray the idea that she was standing on a ship. She looked almost like a masthead. Also, Frida wore a really cool mask, and I thought it was really effective in disguising her identity, so she could reuse that character later in the play. Frida also struggled with the memorization of her script, and I felt really bad because now I knew how difficult it was. However, I really admired her because her native language is Swedish, yet she was trying to memorize something in English. It actually related to another part of Henry V because I imagine it would be difficult for the actors of the French to memorize lines in French if it wasn't their native language. The last person to do their monologue that day was Katherine. She did the prologue before Act I on the windowsill by the stairs. She did an exceptional job with her memorization because she didn't forget a single line. She was very theatrical as well, and she took the chorus member to be a drinker and a smoker. It was amusing, but going in that direction an actor would need to be aware of the fact that it could offend people. Personally, my grandfather died because of his alcoholism, so I don't find it something to be taken lightly. Therefore, I found the performance to be somewhat off-putting, and I imagine it would taint my view of the play as a whole. However, Frida pointed out that in Europe, drinking isn't a big deal, so audiences there might not be as offended. Overall, I thought everyone did an exceptional job with their monologues, and I wish I had been there to see Aishwarya, Gwen, and Sam perform. I think presenting the monologues was a good lesson in learning what it is like to experience live theatre, as well as the joys and disappointments that accompany it.

No comments:

Post a Comment